Dyslexia Definition

According to the International Dyslexia Association,

“Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.”

What is Dyslexia?

Dyslexia is a learning disability that affects a person’s ability to read, write, and spell. Individuals who have dyslexia are usually very bright. In fact, dyslexia is an unexpected difficulty in learning how to read, write and spell. While individuals with dyslexia are slow readers, they usually are very fast and creative thinkers with strong reasoning abilities.

Unlike speaking, individuals don’t just “pick up” the ability to read from their environment. Individuals with dyslexia have trouble connecting the letters and sounds together without direct and explicit instruction.Z

Research shows that about 80% of individuals will learn to read with some form of instruction. While the remaining 20% need structured, direct and explicit instruction on the letter-sound correlations of their language.

When individuals have dyslexia and don’t read well, they dread going to school to learn. They often create excuses to get out of going to school. Individuals also have poor self-esteem. Early intervention is best for individuals with dyslexia and this can have dramatic results when given the appropriate learning tools. These tools will change how a person learns to reads, writes and spells.

With engaging, multisensory, structured language therapy, dyslexics can learn how to read, spell, and write effectively. Also, their confidence and self-esteem soar as well!

Researched based teaching instruction for dyslexics

Subscribe to Our Newsletter


© Dyslexic Labs. All rights reserved.